What to see in Leon
The Leon Bullring, popularly known as Leon Arena, is the work of the renowned architect Domingo López. It opened in June 1948 and replaced the 1912 provisional bullring made of wood.
It is an arena of about 2,000 square meters with a capacity of close to 10,000 spectators. Its inaugural bullfight involved the great bullfighter Felipe Bartolomé along with Paquito Muñoz, Luis Miguel Dominguín and Pepín Martínez Vázquez.
At an architectural level, it is a completely circular arena with a seating distribution in accordance with the standardized designs in the vast majority of Spanish bullrings.
By 1993, the bullring was in a deep state of abandonment, after being closed for more than five years. It was acquired by businessman Gustavo Postigo, who immediately engaged in a restoration process to restore its lost splendour. It reopened the following year, gaining great notoriety and popularity.
Years later, the arena underwent another series of renovations to modernize it and adapt it to new recreational and sporting events. Among other significant changes, a spectacular mobile dome made of glass was added to protect the arena from the elements, thereby allowing the facilities to be used in autumn and winter.
Thanks to these modernizations, the Leon Bullring can also host musical concerts, various cultural events and basketball and handball games.