Civil Buildings in Burgos
Religious Buildings in Burgos
The building of the Provincial Council is a rectangular structure in a typically Classicist style that was built between 1864 and 1869 under the leadership of the famous Burgos architects Luis Villanueva and Ángel Calleja. It is located opposite the Main Theatre, on the well-known Paseo del Espolón.
Built with stone from Hontoria de la Cantera on the foundations of an 18th-century prison, the structure was erected during the reign of Isabella II with the aim of becoming the headquarters of the Burgos Provincial Council – a use that has continued to this day.
Its architectural design is formidable thanks to its four sublime facades full of Classicist ornaments. The main facade faces the Paseo del Espolón while the rear facade faces Santo Domingo de Guzmán Square.
Among the details that highlight its decorative richness are its impressive imperial-style staircase illuminated by a skylight, as well as its exquisite balustrade above the main door adorned with a series of Ionic pilasters supporting a classical-style pediment.
As part of certain additions to its internal decoration, the Provincial Council building displays beautiful canvases by prominent local artists such as Marceliano Santa María and Vela Zanetti. These paintings, which date back to 1965, are dedicated to excerpts from the “Cantar de Mio Cid” and represent key scenes such as "La Jura de Santa Gadea", "El Destierro", "La Batalla" and "El Duelo", all of them with an exquisite technique and great finish.