Civil Buildings in Burgos
Religious Buildings in Burgos
Originally from the Elizabethan era and located on the Paseo del Espolón, next to the Provincial Council, the Main Theatre of Burgos is an authentic patrimonial treasure of the city. Its construction was the work of the famous architect Bernardino Martínez de Velasco, who was the director of the same Francisco de Angoitia.
Inaugurated in 1858, the theatre was the main venue for all the major events, concerts and dramatic shows in Burgos until 1956. It underwent extensive restoration and reform in 1997 with the aim of modernizing it and recovering its original shine.
In addition to offering shows, events and concerts, the Main Theatre has a room for travelling exhibitions, a large and well-documented library and the famous Polisón Room, designed for conferences and workshops.
The original architectural design of the building, in addition to its subsequent reform, had the objective of creating a high-quality space, enhancing its external and internal beauty, as well as providing great comfort and spaciousness to all areas. The spectacular seats, boxes, armchairs and chairs in the theatre were designed by Gregorio Moneo, while the beautiful proscenium arch was the work of Leoncio García. Julián Ruiz painted the heraldry of the city on the parapet of the City Hall box.
The Main Theatre is located at a strategic crossroads in the city, surrounded by bars, restaurants and important administrative and banking offices. This enhances its importance and makes it a perfect meeting point for tourists.