Civil Buildings in Burgos
Religious Buildings in Burgos
The Main Square of Burgos, originally called “Plaza de los Mercados”, was an impromptu meeting point for the city's commerce. In 1791, it was called "Main Square", becoming the heart of Burgos' political and economic power.
That year, the square was enlarged and totally reformed. A surrounding wall was eliminated and buildings were constructed around it to match the new architectural design, with porticoed facades supported by arches and a floor made of red brick – something typical in many Castilian squares.
As with many large central squares in European cities, Burgos' Main Square has a strict building code that prevents buildings from exceeding a height limit. It also maintains an ideal architectural style, which makes the square stand out.
Around it, one can find the City Hall, a large number of commercial premises, shops, bars and restaurants. This makes Main Square a natural meeting place, both for the people of Burgos and for tourists.
In addition to the variety of places around it, Main Square stands out as a popular place for children, who can play throughout its immense free areas.