Civil Buildings in Burgos
Religious Buildings in Burgos
The Island Palace is a beautiful and enigmatic building constructed in 1883 with a romantic architectural style and with evident neo-Gothic influences. It served as the personal summer residence of Juan Muguiro y Casi, an important banker and lawyer.
It is an important patrimonial construction that, over the years, served as Franco's headquarters and official residence and as the temporary headquarters of the Edelweiss Speleological Group and later the General Council of Castile and Leon. Since 2008, it has been the headquarters of the Institute of the Language of Castile and Leon.
This institute is a private foundation whose objective is to diffuse, disseminate and promote the Spanish language by investigating the origins of Castilian from the Visigothic period to the present, taking into account Latin and Arab influences.
It has a great patrimonial, cultural and historical interest and organizes a series of important events, exhibitions, literary presentations, congresses and open-air film screenings. This makes the institute a centre of great academic interest.
Among the many informative works of the Institute of the Language of Castile and Leon, its alliances with schools and related educational institutions, helping to spread the language in educational centres, stand out.
In addition to its obvious importance at the academic and cultural levels, the Institute of the Language of Castile and Leon receives a large number of tourists and visitors interested in admiring the beautiful building. Due to its significant architectural and patrimonial importance, it was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1942.