Civil Buildings in Burgos
Religious Buildings in Burgos
The Hospital of the Conception, popularly known as “El Hospitalito”, is located on the corner of Madrid and Barrio Gimeno streets to the south of the urban centre. It was built during the 16th century by order of Diego Bermuy, a merchant and philanthropist whose objective was to offer a social health alternative, as well as a temporary sanctuary for pilgrims.
Built in a Renaissance architectural style, the hospital underwent an extension in the 17th century, in terms of both its size and its façade, making it even more sumptuous and attractive.
Among its curiosities is the fact that it served as a hospice for St. Teresa of Jesus and was the seat of the Faculty of Medicine since 1799. However, after the Napoleonic invasion, the French occupied it, turning it into a military barracks.
After falling into a state of ruin after many decades of neglect, it was acquired by the City Council in 2003 and ceded to the University of Burgos as part of its academic and educational endowment – a fact that received great support due to its enormous value.
Following almost a decade of extensive reform and restoration, in 2012 a symbiotic association was created between the City Council, the Government of Castile and León, the University of Burgos and the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports with the aim of taking advantage of the areas of the Hospital of the Conception such as the Provincial Historical Archive, study areas and other uses at the university level.