As its name indicates, the Gaudí House Museum was originally the residence of the great Catalan architect from 1906 to 1925. After his death, his disciple Francesc Berenguer proposed that the house become a museum to honour and disseminate Gaudí's life and work. The museum opened its doors to the public in 1963.
The history of this property dates back to the end of the 19th century when Eusebi Guell, an important Catalan industrialist, planned to build a new and modern urban area in Barcelona. However, of the 60 houses planned, only two were completed. One of them would later become the residence of Gaudí.
The house has three floors. The ground floor and first floor contain exhibitions for the public, while the second floor is made up of a beautiful viewpoint, the tower and Gaudí's private offices. The basement consists of two other areas that are not open to the public but that can be visited virtually on the museum's website.
The House Museum has a splendid collection of Gaudí's personal objects and furniture distributed throughout his bedroom, his private study and other common areas. Much of the furniture was designed by Gaudí himself, which demonstrates his great mastery of ergonomics and industrial design.
It should be noted that some of the furniture that Gaudí designed for many of his great projects, such as Millà House, Batlló House and Vicens House, is also on display. In addition, the museum exhibits furniture, paintings, sculptures, sketches and other pieces created by Gaudí's close associates.
Since its inauguration, the Gaudí House Museum has become one of the most visited and popular museum institutions in the city. This is due to the immense patrimonial legacy that this great artist bequeathed to Barcelona.