Museums in Barcelona
Civil Buildings in Barcelona
Religious Buildings in Barcelona
The Frederic Marès Museum was created in 1946 when the famous sculptor Frederic Marès decided to donate his collection of medieval work to the city of Barcelona. After its official inauguration in 1948, Marès continued to contribute valuable pieces from his personal collection until the museum reached its current volume in 1970.
The effort of this artist and collector was so notable that the municipality chose a large room located in the Greater Royal Palace for the museum to be within the popular Gothic quarter of the city. This matched the objective of disseminating the medieval art of Marès.
The collection, assembled over more than three decades, is invaluable. The museum has a huge sculpture collection divided into seven halls, exhibiting Ancient World pieces from the 5th century BC until the 4th century AD. It also contains medieval Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque art, as well as a series of paintings and fabrics from each period.
From the Ancient and Romanesque world, there are very valuable pieces such as the famous Sarcophagus of Layos, divinities and bronze objects, beautiful carved crucifixes and excellent works made in stone. From the Gothic, works by Jaume Cascalls and Alejo de Vahia stand out, as do important German and Dutch works. In the Renaissance hall, prodigious works by Alonso Berruguete, Felipe Vigardy, Arnao de Bruselas and Manuel Álvarez stand out, while beautiful Mannerist works by the famous Gregorio Fernández, Esteban de Rueda and Juan Vazcardo are exhibited from the Baroque.
Since its inauguration, the Frederic Marès Museum has received innumerable international recognitions due to its immense collection of works and important preservation and dissemination of that historical period.