Religious Buildings in Barcelona
Civil Buildings in Barcelona
Museums in Barcelona
The Church of Saint Philip Neri is a Baroque-style temple located in the homonymous square of the Gothic Quarter of Barcelona. Its construction extended from 1721 to 1752 under the supervision of the famous architect Pere Bertran, with sculptures by Carles Grau and Pere Costa.
Its architectural design presents a Counter-Reformation floor plan with a single nave and side chapels with foreshadows through which one can walk between, along with a semicircular apse and a transept with a domed roof. The façade of the church takes clear inspiration from the chapel of the Citadel, topped by a semicircle that gives it dynamism due to the union in the form of a curve existing in the main street together with the lateral ones.
It has a lintel access escorted by caissoned pilasters. At the top is a straight cornice, in the centre of which is a heraldry. At the top of its main entrance is a second body with a niche framed with pilasters and showing the image of Saint Philip Neri. Other figures of the saint appear at the top of other doors on its rear façade.
Following the style of the Citadel chapel, on the façade is a wide oculus that allows natural light to enter the interior of the church.
The church contains a large number of altars in Neoclassical and Baroque styles made by Ignasi Vergara, Salvador Gurri and Ramón Amadeu, as well as splendid paintings by the painter Joan Llimona. It should be noted that this church was severely damaged by the bombing of 1938 and that, despite subsequent restorations, the façade retains some of the traces of the impacts of these explosives.