Religious Buildings in Barcelona
Civil Buildings in Barcelona
Museums in Barcelona
In the Old City of Barcelona is the Gothic-style Basilica of the Holy Martyrs Justo and Pastor, considered one of the oldest churches in all of Spain. However, its antiquity is in doubt, as tradition claims that it dates back to the fourth century, but official documents speak of the sponsorship of King Louis the Pious in building the temple in 801 and its subsequent invocation from the 10th century.
The truth is that the "remodelling" work on the temple lasted from 1342 to 1574, making this basilica the last Gothic-style temple in Barcelona. Additions and alterations continued throughout the following centuries, including the bell tower and façade in the 16th century, the displacement of the choir and apse in the 19th century and the reconstruction of the chapel in 1904.
The facades of the basilica are simple and austere, with the main façade presenting a semi-octagonal column to its right. Its design presents a central nave with five sections vaulted by ribs and with polychrome keystones, six rectangular chapels between its buttresses on each side and a polygonal apse, as well as spectacular and lavish stained glass windows in the 16th century openwork windows along its superior part.
Inside, the temple preserves countless works of art of great value such as the sculptures of Venancio Vallmitjana and Agapito Vallmitjana, as well as a splendid 16th-century Catalan altarpiece depicting the Passion and painted by the excellent artist Pere Nunyes between 1528 and 1530. It is also home to an impressive image of the Virgin of the Candelaria donated by the Canarian House of Catalonia in 2002.