Religious Buildings in Barcelona
Civil Buildings in Barcelona
Museums in Barcelona
Inaugurated in 1453 after a very long construction, the Basilica of Santa Maria del Pi is a temple of clear Catalan Gothic style. It was originally built on the foundations of a 10th century church in honour of Santa Maria del Pino because, according to tradition, an image of the Virgin on the trunk of a pine was found in that place.
It is an ancient church whose documentation indicates that in 987 the construction was already underway. In 1074, an account described the existence of its cemetery, in addition to its ecclesiastical parish, which no longer exists.
The interior design of the basilica consists of a single nave, but of enormous dimensions: more than 50 meters long by more than 15 meters wide and 27 meters high. It has a polygonal vaulted apse as well as side chapels located between the Gothic buttresses.
Its prominent façade is presided over by two magnificent octagonal towers on each side. It has a rose window with 12 arms dating from the 14th century. This is located on the portal, which was rebuilt in the mid-1940s after a fire in the year 1936.
Something that immediately stands out is its spectacular bell tower, with an octagonal base and located on the southern side of the head, which has a free-standing body and is over 50 meters high, with solid walls 3.5 meters thick at its base.
Due to its enormous cultural and heritage value, this imposing basilica was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1931.