What to see in Palma de Mallorca
Built between 1420 and 1452 by Guillem Sagrera, the Lonja of Palma de Mallorca, or Sa Llotja, is considered a masterpiece of Mallorcan Gothic architecture. It was the headquarters of the city's College of Merchants. Also, during the 15th century, this market was the seat of the government.
The interior of this market is made up of four naves of equal height, separated from each other by six helical columns without capitals. Just like the design of a cathedral, the ribs of the arches are embedded directly into the walls.
To give the market a certain magnificence, Sagrera included royal heraldry in the keys of the vault, in its central nave belonging to the Crown of Aragon and on the sides the heraldry of Palma de Mallorca, all made with gold and original polychrome.
On the side façade, one can see four huge windows as well as on both sides of the main portal. The opposite façade contains a pair of windows with a cross vault.
Other interesting details are the chamfers located in each corner with small doors containing ogee arches decorated with the representation of each evangelist. The doors facing the sea contain spiral stairs leading to the terrace.
Due to its immense heritage and cultural value, the Lonja de Palma de Mallorca has become a popular tourist attraction, including among academics and students who are amazed by its magnificence.