What to see in Oviedo
The General Assembly of the Principality of Asturias has its headquarters in the Palace on Fruela Street, a splendid building whose origin dates back to 1910. Since then, it has been reserved for administrative and institutional matters concerning the Provincial Council and the Principality of Asturias.
The site occupied by the current palace was previously home to the famous and monumental Convent of St. Francis, whose demolition caused great commotion due to its Medieval provenance.
After the confiscation of the 19th century, it was used as a hospital and then left in a state of disrepair.
The construction of the new palace was carried out by the famous provincial architect Nicolás García de Rivero, who redesigned the urban profile to take advantage of the surrounding street and join it with the new railway station.
Thanks to this renovation, carried out by García de Rivero, the Palace of the General Assembly was incorporated into the ambitious urban expansion plan within the Uría-Fruela design as part of the modernization of Oviedo until it was ultimately opened in 1910.
Since then, this beautiful palace, typical of the architectural style prevailing in Spain at the beginning of the 20th century, has been designated as the headquarters of the General Assembly of the Principality of Asturias. Given its beauty and monumentality, it has generated great attraction, especially among tourists and visitors to the city of Oviedo.