What to see in Leon
Built during the 16th century, St. Marina la Real Church is a Jesuit-Baroque-style temple originally dedicated to St. Michael and the Angels. It is considered one of the churches with the greatest artistic treasures in Leon.
Its architectural design presents a façade full of interesting details, including a tripartite vertical frontispiece with a bishop that surrounds its main door, with Doric pilasters supporting a cantilever, above which a niche of St. Michael is displayed along with a heraldry of Charles III. There is also a frieze with roses and triglyphs in the metopes.
The window that provides light to the apse is notable, as is an oculus with a clock at the top, in addition to the beautiful relief by Gonzalo de Tapia located next to the door leading to the parish hall.
Inside are a barrel vault with transepts and transverse arches and a beautifully designed half-orange dome displaying eight magnificently projected segments. The church has six chapels, three on each side, with projecting galleries.
Its artistic treasure is incalculable. Among the most representative of the many existing works, a series of sculptures of great value and symbolism stands out. Among them are sculptures of the Virgin of the Rosary, the founding Bishop Juan Martínez San Millán and St. Ignatius of Loyola.
In addition, one can see a spectacular altarpiece from the order of the Barefoot Franciscans, a representation of The Pietà of St. Anthony the Great and an impressive organ from 1852, originally from the Monastery of Sandoval.