What to see in Jaen
The Church of Saint Bartholomew was established as a parish in the 14th century.
It is located in the old town of Jaen, in the square that bears the same name. This is a square with irregular architecture, joined to two other, smaller squares. Surrounding the square, you can see several stately buildings, among which we can highlight the House of the Count of Águila, also known as the House of Fear.
The main facade of the church, with very simple characteristics, was designed by Eufrasio López de Rojas in the last third of the 17th century. It is made up of a semi-circular arch and a niche where a carving of the titular saint rests.
The northern wall, which was rebuilt in 1892 and features Neo-Gothic windows, is markedly different in style from the rest of the temple.
The interior of the Parish Church of Saint Bartholomew is in the Mudejar style, with a basilica plan of reduced proportions. On one side is a baptismal font in the Gothic-Mudejar style, made of green glazed ceramic that presents Gothic inscriptions dated to the 15th century. In the centre, on its Main Altar, a splendid 16th-century altarpiece stands out, a work attributed to the carver Sebastián de Solís.