What to see in Caceres
The Hermitage of the Peace is a temple dating from the 18th century and located in the Main Square of Caceres. It is attached to one of the walls of the Bujaco Tower, near where the western canvas of the wall adjoins the monumental city.
The idea to build the hermitage – whose foundations employed as a base a Renaissance-style chapel in honour of St. Benedict – arose in 1720 when the bishopric authorized the construction of the new temple.
The architectural style of the hermitage seeks to blend with the Bujaco Tower, giving the impression that it is part of the hermitage by presenting a classic architectural design with three semicircular arches. These are supported by pillars made of stone that give shape to its enclosed façade and, in turn, by a beautifully carved gate, the work of Juan de Acebo.
Although it is a simple and austere hermitage, it contains areas of obvious interest due to its exquisite and beautiful finish. Among them is its vault with Mudejar workmanship and paintings. Also, it houses a splendid altarpiece with a small representation of the Virgin with the Child in her arms, the work of the famous artist Pedro Correa.