What to see in Caceres
The Episcopal Palace of Caceres is located in the lower part of the Monumental City, in St. Mary Square. Its most modern part dates from the 17th century, while the oldest dates from the 13th century.
Its main façade faces the square and is unmistakably Renaissance in style. Its cover, from 1587, stands out for a semicircular arch along with two rows made of padded ashlars flanked by two columns.
The building stands out mainly for its rich ornamental details—for example, two medallions with representations of a couple that are apparently South American Indians and is in itself a reference to the importance of the discovery of America.
Among other notable details is the heraldry of the Galarzas, the family to which Bishop Pedro García Galarza belonged, who gave the order to build the palace. Furthermore, in a porticoed courtyard inside the building are various episcopal coats of arms.
Its rear façade, also Renaissance in style and from the 16th century, faces the Estrella walkway and was the main access to the St. Peter seminary, which was located outside the wall.
Its cover shows great resemblance to the main cover but with the difference that instead of the Indian couple it shows two female figures, representing Justice and Strength.
As an anecdotal detail, the Episcopal Palace served as a lodging for King Philip II of Spain after he was crowned King of Portugal in 1583.