Religious Buildings in Burgos
Civil Buildings in Burgos
The Monastery of the Visitation of Holy Mary, also known as the Church of the Salesas, is a place of great beauty and historical significance in the city of Burgos. It has been inhabited by the Salesas congregation since 1897.
The monastery dates from the end of the 19th century and is located next to the remains of the medieval wall, in front of the old Hospital de Barrantes. It was designed by Juan Bautista Lázaro in a clearly neo-Gothic style from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
During the Spanish Civil War, Francisco Franco lived in the Palacio de la Isla, a neighbouring building of the Monastery of the Visitation of Holy Mary, using a room there to celebrate the Councils of Ministers.
The Monastery of the Visitation of Holy Mary was blessed by Gregorio María Aguirre, Archbishop of Burgos, in 1906.