Religious Buildings in Burgos
Civil Buildings in Burgos
The Church of St. Lawrence el Real is an emblematic place in the city of Burgos that surprises visitors with its decorative details and Baroque architecture.
It was built at the end of the 16th century to replace another, previous building, and its name refers to the martyr St. Lawrence, one of the most revered saints in the Catholic tradition.
The main façade has a marked style typical of Baroque gigantism, presenting large pilasters and columns on which there is a niche with the image of St. Lawrence.
Inside, the main altarpiece stands out. It was made between 1725 and 1726 by Jose Valdan, although later changes were made by Bernardo Lopez de Frias.
The rest of the Baroque altarpieces and religious sculptures, carefully placed in different chapels, are testimony to the art and faith that have been an integral part of this place over the years.