Civil Buildings in Burgos
Religious Buildings in Burgos
The Hospital of Barrantes was built throughout the 17th century as a hospital centre under the patronage of the Abbot of San Quirce and canon of the Cathedral, Don Jerónimo Pardo, with the aim of serving as a hospital for the poor of Burgos. The building was completed by his successor, Don Pedro Barrantes y Aldana, after whom the hospital was named.
The architectural design is unmistakably Classicist. Although it underwent a long series of reforms and restorations, especially between the 19th and 20th centuries, it still preserves some details of its original design, including its main doorway.
The hospital also preserves other details of great artistic and patrimonial value, especially the chapel, preceded by a rich and interesting carved Baroque-style altarpiece, the work of the Cortés del Valle brothers in the middle of the 18th century.
In 1945, a splendid sculptural ensemble was added to the hospital's entrance courtyard. It was made by the famous artist Fortunato Julián and represents the two founders of the medical centre.
The hospital has been under the direction and patronage of the Cathedral Chapter since the 17th century. At the time, it gained fame due to its apothecary, which was considered the most important and well-stocked in all of Burgos.
By the 18th century, the centre was specialising in the surgical area. After an important expansion at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, it extended its focus. Currently, the Hospital of Barrantes functions as a residence for the elderly.