Civil Buildings in Burgos
Religious Buildings in Burgos
The Faculty of Theology of Burgos is a monumental building dating from 1861 and built by the famous architect Luis de Villanueva with a marked academic style. He employed a classic superimposition of bodies made of brick on a lower basement made of stone.
The building, which was originally the Seminary of St. Jerome, became a true architectural landmark after the demolition in the 19th century of the old medieval fortified walls that protected Burgos. There, new streets were created.
The construction of Villanueva used the foundations of an old construction from the 17th century, as well as certain ornamental and decorative aspects, especially its finishes in the window frames and the interesting belfry at the top of its cornice.
In addition to offering spacious classrooms and common areas for the teaching staff, the Faculty of Theology includes areas of great interest such as the impressive library of its teaching centre. This includes invaluable pieces from disentailed monasteries and pieces of enormous artistic and heritage value from editions and incunabula of the 16th century.
In addition to the lavish library, the Faculty maintains an important diocesan archive that has been modernized and adapted to current times. This archive preserves important and valuable documents from the large number of parishes throughout the Burgos diocese.
It should be noted that, thanks to its strategic location and the great beauty of this imposing building, it has become a tourist attraction and is widely visited by academics and students.