The Co-Cathedral of Saint Nicholas of Bari, with a Renaissance architectural style, was built between 1616 and 1662 on the remains of an old mosque as part of an architectural complex accompanying the cloister, in the Valencian Gothic style, which came from the 15th century.
The design of its plan is a Latin cross with little development in the arms of its transept, chapels between the buttresses and a huge head with an ambulatory. In addition, its plan is doubled at its upper level, which allows it to reach an enormous height.
The external appearance of this monumental temple stands out for its impressive sobriety, framed within the so-called late Renaissance and the first stage of the Baroque. Its original design was by Agustín Bernardino. Inside, its enormous proportions tend to intimidate visitors. There, a slender and elegant dome, the work of the famous Alicante architect Miguel del Real, stands out, as does a Roman coffered cladding with an oculus topped with a lantern reaching a height greater than 44 meters.
The architectural ensemble of this co-cathedral includes the antechamber, sacristy, rectangular cloister, chapter house and, of course, the church. In the 18th century, the chapel of the Communion was included, excellently decorated with a Greek cross floor plan contrasting with the rest of the complex. It is considered one of the most beautiful in all of the Spanish Baroque style.
One of the great attractions of the Co-Cathedral of Saint Nicholas is its impressive artistic heritage, such as the Altarpiece of the Souls from the 16th century, the work of Nicolás Borrás, the Christ of Good Luck from the 17th century, by Nicolás de Bussi, a beautiful Italian baldachin made of marble and jasper dating from 1688 and the immense organ from the 16th century, the oldest in the Valencian community.